Sunday, March 05, 2006

It can't be March!

Discipline has never been one of my strong suits. I often start off with good intentions, but I quickly go astray. Perhaps the season of Lent isn't such a bad idea after all...

For some reason, though, I can't seem to get geared up for Lent this year. I'm so exhausted from February that I'm having difficulty summoning the energy to engage in the intellectual and spiritual rigors of the season. Don't get me wrong, I've learned a lot in February. Some positive things, others negative. At the moment, I struggle to find life balance. Why is it that ministers seem to wear their busy-ness with such pride? 'Look how busy I am! I must be important!' When I first started out, I felt quite guilty when I wasn't overly busy. Why is there such an expectation among both the laity and the clergy? I'd like to change this, but I'm not sure how. I think this is a cultural phenomenon, too. People don't seem to be happy unless they are bouncing off to one thing or another at every waking moment. Makes me wonder, what are we running from?

I think part of my problem with Lent this year is that I feel a spiritual emptiness. There's a lack of serious theological reflection in my life...something that hasn't been missing for the last three years while I studied at Duke. Going back to the busy-ness of clergy, we seldom set aside the time to engage in things theological. When I sit down to read something, I feel guilty because it isn't overtly productive. Yes, I know it has its value, but not with immediate fruit--as a visit or sermon prep or something else might bring.

Well, hopefully I'll take a step back to fullness this next week. I'm off tomorrow on a 3.5 day retreat in Derby followed by a few days in York. I'm looking forward to the rejuvenation that I hope will come with some time away from the circuit and intentional time built into each day for spiritual matters.

Oh, and on a lighter note...here's the car I've been driving the past two weeks. It's a semi-automatic...and oh so ugly! Jenny's car is in the shop and she's too young to rent a car, so she's been driving mine and I've been driving this. I've taken a few trips to the country (sweet sunroof!) which explains the slightly dusty exterior.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So what kind of car is that thing?

Mon Mar 06, 05:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That car looks almost as small as Jennifer's clown car! HaHa! Hope you are having a great week! Talk to you soon!
Amanda :)

Fri Mar 10, 08:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home