Saturday, August 20, 2005

The first drive...

So I finally got my car today. I can't decide if that's good or bad. I'm no longer housebound, but now I have to drive!! So the Circuit Steward (head layperson for the circuit) took me to get the car. Then, he says that HE will follow ME back (instead of the other way around). Talk about pressure! Its one thing to know that I'll just drive around until I find my way, but quite another to have somebody behind you watching every move you make! I made it. Almost took one wrong turn, but otherwise, it was good. The funny part is that he took me the back way. Not the most direct route (pronouced root). But ah well. I made it. The next adventure was trying to put the car in the garage (pronounced GAIR-uhge). HA! The only way the car fits is if you bend the side mirrors in. Trevor (circuit steward) wants me to park in the garage...I'm not thinking that's going to happen often. Oh, and I had to buy petrol (gas) on the way back from the car place...it cost almost 35 pounds (i don't have the symbol yet). That's close to $70. But I try not to think about that.

Yesterday was fun. I had called a parioshioner (Mike) and asked him to take me to the bank, as I had no means of getting there yet. He then invited me in for tea...turned into lunch and then I went with he and his 10-year-old grandson Sam to the Norwich Castle! The Castle isn't nearly as cool as the Cathedral. I mean, it's a castle, so it's still pretty neat, but they've turned it into a museum while the Cathedral is still much as it was. There are several exhibits in the Castle, including a new one about buried treasure. We also went into an art exhibit as well. After we had stuffed our brains full of more info than we'll ever remember from that visit, we went walking around the city centre (downtown) and through the market. I'll be going back there, hopefully when it isn't raining. There's a good bus that goes from my neighborhood into the city centre. There's nowhere near enough parking at the centre, so the bus is just as easy and almost cheaper (see price of petrol above).

Tonight I'm going with parishioners on a "soup run" I think this includes delivering soup to the homeless of Norwich. I'm looking forward to that. I'll report more after it happens.

That's all for now. I hope you all are well. Please keep in touch...both with comments on here and an email or snail mail letter! Peace to you.

5 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

I happened to see a map of Norwich (and London, actually) and the street layout is frightening! Good you were able to get home safely.

Aren't castles great? Even if they're museums and stuff, they're just so COOL.

Sat Aug 20, 09:58:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

See as much as you can while you are there. There is a great deal of history. Just think gas is a little cheaper here in the U.S. Love Dad

Sun Aug 21, 12:11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And we gripe about the price of Petrol in the US.

Hope you are having a wonderful time!

Sun Aug 21, 06:34:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sarah!

This blog thing really is cool. Yeah....that 70 dollars for gas thing, don't think about it. Of course, someone told me that by October it would be 8.00 here! ;) I miss you bunches. I was just thinking the other day about how I miss our house, and how we would be looking for school supplies right about now...hitting the Wal-Mart and the office depot...acting all like we were going to be organized, serious students. Ha! It worked for a week or so. I'm so proud of you and excited and I laughed myself silly when I found out your room was pink! Ahhhhhhhh God does have a sense of humor! Take care, my friend and talk to you soon.

Jennifer C.

Sun Aug 21, 07:03:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your room is PINK! HAHA! That is just way too funny!! But hey, you can remember your dear friend Amanda when you see pink! It is her favorite color! HaHa! I miss you Sarah and I am loving your blog. Keep us posted on things! Take care - Amanda

Mon Aug 22, 06:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home