Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Country Girl heads to the Big City!!

I have officially been to London! Finally! I know, I know...took me long enough. It was way fun, though! Jenny took me to London the day after my birthday (last Friday, for those of you who don't have that point of reference) to show me how to get around on the Tube and such. It really isn't much different from any other subway I've ridden, but it is helpful to at least see it before I try to take the folks round. We took the train down and got into Liverpool Street around 12:30 or so. We got off the train and onto the Underground to Westminster. I've seen Big Ben! It was pretty surreal. We saw where Parliament meets and then went around the corner to Westminster Abbey. We contemplated going into the Abbey until we saw the 10 quid entry fee. But, on our way there, we saw Methodist Central Hall, so we decided to visit it instead. And, I'm happy to say, it was free. We walked around and then grabbed a bite to eat in the cafe. Check out the picture of the two of us with the JW statue!

After that, we walked up the south bank of the Thames, passing the London Eye, the aquarium (really long line!), and Shakespeare's Globe Theatre. We ended up at Southwark (pronounced suthuk...with the u's sounding like fun) Cathedral. It was by far the smallest Cathedral I'd been to. Luckily, this one was free, too.

Jenny had a short meeting at Methodist Church House (basically headquarters), so we went there next. Then we headed toward Oxford Street which is apparently famous for its shopping...so that's what we did. I bought some shoes, clothes and CDs. That was fun to carry back through the Tube on the way to catch our train!

Everybody we talk to tells us that we accomplished a lot in the short amount of time we had in the city, but it didn't really feel like we did much. I guess that's to be expected since there's just so much. But boy were we tired when we got home. I had no problems sleeping that night!

Mom and Dad will be here on Saturday! I can't believe it!! I'm so excited. I'll report on Holy Week later...I think it deserves its own entry...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once again the readers of this blog are @ the mercy of the one who controls it. I would think being away over seas that one would have plenty to talk about. Believe it or not there are those of us out here that enjoy timely updates. I am only trying to be helpful and looking out for your best interest.

Your loving and favorite cousin.

Tue Apr 25, 01:41:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, since you only work for a few hours on Sunday morning you could post on your blog a little more often. Its not like you have anything else to do.

Tue Apr 25, 02:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home