Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Off to London!

Hiya! (a very common English greeting)

So the soup run was interesting. We went to the city centre where a group of folks was waiting for us. We passed out sandwiches, fruit, granola bars, and made instant soup (just add hot water!), coffee, tea, and hot chocolate. It was quite chaotic with everyone (about 20 people) shouting their requests at once--everybody trying to get theirs without considering if everybody will get what they need. We were there for about half an hour, but I couldn't help but comparing the experience to the 15-501 thing we did in Durham. This was very much a "feeding the homeless" event that "eating with" them. I was in charge of sandwiches, which went quickly, so I got a chance to speak with a few of them. The other two with me were busy the whole time and didn't get much chance for conversation. At this point, I'm trying to withold judgment (not very successfully) until I hear the history of the ministry, what they've tried before, how it all started, what their goals are, etc.

I've driven a bit more. I can get to all my churches--I've figured that much out. Trying to get back was a little tricky, but I made it nonetheless. It'll take a while to figure it all out, but I'll get there, espeically once I get started working in September. They have a very nice bus system here. There is a bus stop just down the hill where I meet a bus that takes me all the way into the city centre. The trip takes about 30 minutes, but it was nice not to have to deal with the traffic myself. I fully intend that the bus should cut down on my driving some.

Today, however, driving is the order of the day. I'm headed down to London for an Induction Course (orientation) that will last until Friday. Then, when I get back, I'm observing a wedding at one of my churches on Saturday. Thank goodness its just observing! (Actually, I'm assisting at a wedding on my first day...supposedly). It'll be a fun week.

I don't know what my internet access will be, so don't expect a post until Friday. But feel free to leave comments or email me!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah,

I'm loving this blog site ... how cool to be able to keep up with your adventure this way. WOW!! to the price of petrol. Guess I won't complain when I fill my van up for $30 or $35 anymore.

It's good to hear you are getting the hang of maneuvering around your area there. Keep it up - it'll feel quite normal to you one of these days. Your cousins and I plan to call you on Friday.


Love you lots,

Melba

Wed Aug 24, 03:33:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah,

Have a great time in London! What a wonderful city!

News from the homefront that I thought you might be interested in: Ike Skelton's wife died of a heart attack at their home in Lexington on Tuesday. She was 68.

Many Blessings!

Nick

Wed Aug 24, 07:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sarah,

Ahh. . your adventures in England are reminding me of my own fun time there with the b-friend. Nothing like the cosy english pubs drinking a pint of beer near the fire.

It sounds like you're settling right in! Well I'll be thinking of you!

Take care!

- Peggy

Fri Aug 26, 05:49:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah!!! Your adventures sound so wonderful and exciting! I can't believe you're in England! What a terrific place! Big Ben is so majestic!

Love you much,
W

Sat Aug 27, 01:52:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sarah,

Sounds like you are having a wonderful time so far. I can't believe how expensive gas is there. And to think I was disgusted that I had to pay $27.50 just the other day to fill up.

Life is good here. Meaghan has her 2 bottom teeth already and is breaking througth the top 2 now. She is growing like a weed. When we get the new pictures in I will send you some of the family.

Hope all continues to go well. I'm praying for you.

Love you,
Deborah

Sat Aug 27, 02:56:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home