Sunday, September 04, 2005

Success!

Well, I have officially completed my first service in Britain and my first ever Communion service! Whew! So good to get that out of the way. :) Things went smashingly. I didn't spill the "wine" or drop the bread or anything. The only problem--the bread was a half of a loaf cut from the original, and it had been sliced down the middle for easy "breaking". Not the best theological statement, but I didn't say anything. The communion steward was already nervous enough since I used the common cup instead of the shot glasses. Another funny thing, which can mean funny--ha ha, or funny-weird/interesting, I had to laugh (after I stared in disbelief) b/c there really wasn't anything to do about it--but when they put the white cloth on the altar, i got to looking at the lace around it--the pattern that had been used was that of a swastika. So all around the edge of the communion altar cloth was one swastika after another. Now, knowing that the swastika was a Christian symbol, a form of a cross, co-opted by the epitomy of evil made it a little better. Needless to say, I will be talking to somebody before the next time I do communion there.

Yesterday was a full day. In the morning (at 8:00!!) members of Trinity held a prayer breakfast. They gather once a month to pray for the community of Thorpe Marriott (where I live and where the church is located) as well as the wider world community. Then after praying for about half an hour, we had breakfast. They served "porridge" (i don't know how to spell that), which was basically oatmeal made with milk. Then, as soon as that was over, the same church hosts a "Contact Centre" where they supervise what amounts to child visitation--the parents of the children are divorced and when the parent without custody wants to see his or her child(ren), they can come to the church every other Saturday morning. There are six of these centers in Norfolk county, three or four of which are in Norwich. One guy traveled all the way from London (120ish miles) to see his kid(s) and his ex-wife never brought them. It's quite sad really.

Then, after a day of sermon finalizing and some bit of relaxing, the section held a "Faith Tea" to welcome me. A Faith Tea is basically a pot luck (covered dish for those of you in the south), but they only bring finger foods. So we had about half a dozen quiches, some sandwiches (salmon salad--ew!) and some desserts. Afterwards, I went to the children's worker's home and relaxed with her and her mum. It was a nice way to end the day.

Several of you have asked if I've been keeping up with the Katrina disaster. It's been the lead story in all the newspapers (not the tabloids) and on the BBC for pretty much the whole week. I've been very shocked by the amount of coverage its been getting. In a way, its good b/c I can keep tabs on the situation, but on the other hand, I'm a little embarrassed--one for the way its been handled, and two, how prominent the US has played in its news. The coverage lasts for a good half of the 30-minute news program. It's quite unreal. It has been good to see that churches are opening their doors and Christians opening their homes to the refugees/evacuees.

Well, thanks to those of you who have posted comments and kept in touch. I appreciate very much the support and love recieved. Blessings to you! Until next time...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

which way does the swatiska have the arms of the cross "bent?" i know there is a difference, but i forget the details...
andrew

Mon Sep 05, 05:38:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so happy you started with your right foot! You should take a picture of the inside of the car, with the steering weel on the wrong side!! :-)

Many kisses, Pedro.

Mon Sep 05, 12:34:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we've already decided that we're going to the gulf for the mission trip unless a hurricane hits nc in the rest of the season.
jessianne

Mon Sep 05, 04:46:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sarah!

I haven't had an opportunity to read the more recent postings at your site, but I will. I did, however, check out the pics. and your set up looks great! cozy and you've got a cool ride. Too bad we can't do "Divinity Cribs" at your place this time. :) Take care. I'm thinking about you.

Jen C.

Tue Sep 06, 01:00:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah,

Just wanted to say "hi" so you'd know I was reading your "blogs" and loving the ability to participate in your life this way.
The best part is knowing that you sound better daily. Love you lots,
Melba

Thu Sep 15, 03:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home