Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Learning the Language (and other bits)

"England and America are two countries separated by a common language."--George Bernard Shaw

As nothing particularly exciting has happened in the past week or so, I thought I'd share some of the language differences that I've noticed thus far. Below you will find the British usage and its American equivalent.

Hoover=Vacuum (can be used as both noun and verb...i.e. My hoover is old. or Joe is hoovering the carpet.)

Pants=men's underwear
Trousers=pants
(be careful not to confuse these two)
Dressing gown=bathrobe
Trainers=tennis shoes
Jumper=sweater/pullover

Football=soccer
Noughts and crosses=tic tac toe

Pavement=sidewalk

Post=Mail (noun and verb)

Courgette=Zucchini
Crisps=Chips
Chips=fat french fries
french fries=shoestring fries
biscuit=cookie/cracker
Mince=hamburger

Teas=evening meal (this can vary by region)

Indicator=turn signal
Windscreen=windshield
Boot=Trunk
Bonnet=Hood
Petrol=gas (f0r your car. gas to heat your home is still gas)
Lorry=Semi

Mate=friend/buddy

Cheers=goodbye

Hospital=the hospital (They don't use the definite article: "George is in hospital.")
Surgery=local doctor's office
Plaster=bandaid

Supermarket=grocery store
Chemist=Drugstore/Pharmacy

Hob=stove
Cooker=oven

Zed=the letter z

Lift=elevator

Rubbish=garbage/trash
dustbin=trash can
bin man=garbage collector

Queue (pronounced "cue")=a line you stand in

Solicitor=lawyer

Torch=flashlight

Garden=yard/lawn

Oh, and on a completely random note, I saw popcorn flavored milk the other day.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah, thanks to your post, I've noticed that my English is still (almost) 100% American - I recognized most of the British English terms, but if I open my mouth it's the American terms that come out! No wonder the British people I know call me an "Yank"! :-)
Kisses! Pedro

Wed Oct 26, 11:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Popcorn flavored milk! Yum! Can I get mine with extra butter?

Thu Oct 27, 08:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah -
First of all - I miss you!! I love reading your blog and what you are experiencing across the pond from us! I have a bit of sad news to share with you that only you will understand....they cancelled Judging Amy!!! AHHHH!! It is a sad day in the land of television everywhere. Of course they canned the show over the summer but I just found out today. I knew you would share my pain since it was our ritual to watch it together! Anywho- hope all is well! Talk to you later!
Amanda

Wed Nov 02, 05:35:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is so sad. I am tired of checking this site on a daily basis to see if a simple update has been posted. I am growing gray and bald just waiting. One would think that moving to England for a year that they would not be able to seperate themselves from the keyboard. Apparently that is not the case. Get off the couch, put the remote on the coffee table and just do something!

Wed Nov 09, 09:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home