Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Thoughts from today

I find myself in a difficult situation. My predecessor has not been reappointed to another circuit in another place, but instead has taken a job as chaplain at the local hospital. In addition, her husband remains an active member of one of my churches. When my super asked if I minded, it was phrased in such a way that I knew I wasn't supposed to mind: "I told her it wouldn't be a problem, but wanted to let you know I was aware of the situation" was what he said to me. Didn't even ask me! On top of all that, I have a "pastoral assistant" at my largest church (since when does a minister of a church with about 50 people on the rolls need a pastoral assistant...yet i have one). At this point (and yes, it is still early), he seems to be doing my job for me. He's a retired baptist minister who still has the "pastor" in him. I'm finding that the passive-agressive behavior is not one limited to the shores of the US. I found out last night, after it was too late to do anything, that one of my parishioners is in hospital (the Brits just say "in hospital"). I called my pastoral assistant this morning and basically got the brush-off, saying that the person in the hospital would have already contacted Pauline (my predecessor turned chaplain) and that would be fine. It almost feels like I'm being denied my place.

On top of all of this drama, I do find myself wondering where exactly my place is. The Methodist Church is Britain, especially in smaller congregations, is very much a laity-driven church. The minister's duty is to preside over meetings and provide pastoral care. Since I have four churches and may or may not see them for worship within any given month (one church I won't see until mid-October), ministry in this situation looks very different than it does at home.

With a variety of things that are going on and things that have been said (like planning for next year already...they're deciding tomorrow night what they plan on looking for in my successor), I feel like I'm a warm body filling a space. I'm beginning to resent the situation that I find myself in, which is not a healthy place to be. While I appreciate the opportunity to learn and grow by ministering and doing so in a different culture, I have far too much pride to be put into such a spot. I'm angry, I'm frustrated, and yet I don't know where to turn because the only people I know are the ones causing my grief!

Part of me thinks that the more information I get, the better equipped I will be to handle these situations. The problem about this whole escapade of mine is that I don't know whether any of this is due to being new in ministry, being in a new culture, or some combination of both. Half the time, I don't even know what questions to ask to get the information I want. We'll get started on this road tomorrow morning when I have a breakfast meeting (7:30!!) with my pastoral assistant. (followed by a tour of the local crematorium...what a morning!) Hopefully I'll have a better sense of direction after this meeting.

Thanks for reading this far. I hope it makes at least some sense. I realize this isn't one of those cheerful, "everything's great" entries, but I want to be honest about the experience that I'm having. I do hope you all are well. Peace to you.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

New job, new people and culture, always a challenge. Pray about it and we will also and everything will be ok. Have faith. Love Dad

Thu Sep 08, 02:34:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's growing time ... time to stretch and put into practice all those things you've studied and learned these past years ...your dad is right! new culture, new job, new experiences all blend together leaving lots of questions and not so many answers. The truth is, no matter what church you go to - in US or another country - these same experiences will occur (just with differences in situations/names)
because people are people wherever you go. God will give you the grace to deal with it if you allow Him too. There is a song I sang a lot when Granddaddy and Grandma were so sick ... words go something like this ... he giveth more grace when the burdens grow greater ... he giveth more strength when the labors increase ... through added affliction he adds more mercies ... through multiplied trials his multiplied peace. May you realize that grace, strength, mercy and peace as you experience this difficult situation. I too am praying!!!!!! Melba

Thu Sep 08, 04:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is pretty neat. First time I have ever blogged or responded to one.

I won't give you any long speeches or sermons (did you like that?). Hang in there and be tough, be understanding, but stand up for what you believe in and show them who is boss. It will get better. Look on the bright side. If everything goes well you will have me as a visitor. We all have you in our thoughts and prayers.

Your favorite cousin

Ron

Sat Sep 10, 01:50:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is pretty neat. First time I have ever blogged or responded to one.

I won't give you any long speeches or sermons (did you like that?). Hang in there and be tough, be understanding, but stand up for what you believe in and show them who is boss. It will get better. Look on the bright side. If everything goes well you will have me as a visitor. We all have you in our thoughts and prayers.

Your favorite cousin

Ron

Sat Sep 10, 01:51:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah, don't despair! British people (especially the English) are a bit like that. I work with them a lot, and they are very, very different from Americans. I think you're in the position of being young, inexperienced (in comparison to the people surrounding you), and an "outsider". Take the opportunity to do small unexpected things, go directly to the people that are your responsability, never mind the ones giving you a hard time. Many kisses,
Pedro

Sat Sep 10, 07:06:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home