Monday, October 03, 2005

Let the Games Begin

Many apologies for the long hiatus. Many factors contributed to my prolonged absence, the predominant one being that I don't know what to tell you about. Having pretty much settled in and acclimated myself to every day life, developed my routine, etc...nothing seems that new anymore. Of course, a lot of it is and I'm learning new things each day, but in some ways it feels like I've been here for 6 months instead of 6 weeks.

Anyways, this is the first super-busy week I've had. Tomorrow, I have two Communion services, two meetings in the afternoon, plus a Church Council tomorrow night. And that's just Tuesday. It will be a fun week.

I received a care package from the aunts in Florida on Friday. I about jumped out of my seat when I saw the delivery person pull up. My books still haven't arrived (*sniff*...don't panic yet mom), but I've had quite a few glasses of iced tea in the last few days, not to mention some good salsa and some chicken and yellow rice...ah, the tastes of home. Last Thursday, I attempted to cook an American meal for some of my new friends. I even bought an iron skillet for authenticity's sake. We were nourished. I'm not saying it was one of my better performances. They were very kind and even raved about my biscuits that were cooked about 10 minutes too long. I hope to redeem myself at the Thanksgiving meal that is now officially on the church calendar. I think I'd better start practicing my pumpkin pies now...as soon as I find some canned pumpkin (one lady was shocked that I didn't use real pumpkin...I set her straight).

A few quick-hit items:
I hope to go to Sandringham this week on my day off. That's the place where the Royal Family spends Christmas. It's about an hour away. I think it will be fun. Plus the drive is excellent...through the English countryside.

I forgot to mention this before, but I took a tour of the Norwich Cathedral a few weeks ago. They had graffiti (not spray paint) from 1669. Somebody had carved their initials and the date into the soft limestone. I thought it might have been a modern-day prank, but when I asked, they confirmed it. Can you imagine? 1669. Blew my mind.

Leading a Communion Service in a nursing home is harder than it looks.

One of the lay workers who lives nearby is in charge of booking the use of the LCD projector. That means when nobody else has it, she can use it. Thursday night after dinner, we hooked it up to the laptop and watched a movie projected onto the wall. It was sweet. Much better than the television.

It's starting to get a bit chilly here. Highs in the lower 60s, lows in the upper 40s. (Farenheit, obviously.) Fall is here.

Yesterday, at the Horsford Church, they restarted their children's Sunday School (after a long hiatus...like years, I think). On their very first day, they had 5 children, with a possibility in the future for 10....and the best part of it--their parents stayed for worship! In American terms, that doesn't sound impressive. But they had to get out extra chairs for worship. So exciting! Ann (the children's worker) was thrilled. She was practically glowing. Heck, so was I, and I wasn't even there!

Meeting with my partner in crime at the joint Methodist-Anglican Church this week--the new Anglican vicar. He's new to the church as well. We've spoken on the phone and I am looking forward to working with him...we have some of the same ideas for the church...scary, I know.

Last week, I had lunch at a church member's home. After the meal, they pulled out some "marrow rum." Marrow is a kind of squash...basically a large zuchinni. It tasted surprisingly good...considering I don't like rum and it was made from zuchinni.

I think I've written enough for today. I hope you all are well. Drop me a note or an email to let me know how you are.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should use real pumpkin. Roz does and it tastes just like chicken... err pumpkin.

Frank Cousino

Mon Oct 10, 02:07:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How bout you update this site a little more regularly. I know that there is plenty going on. Guess who.

Tue Oct 11, 04:49:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home