Saturday, September 10, 2005

Proud to be an American?

I never thought I had an accent. My brother accused me of picking up a drawl in North Carolina, but on the whole, I thought I had a fairly neutral way of speaking. Well, of course, I come over here and give myself away within the first two words that come out of my mouth. One shopkeeper asked if I was on holiday (vacation), while a member of the circuit guessed my identity within a few words. I have never been more aware of where I come from. Many times, especially in the supermarket or on the bus, I intentionally avoid speaking unnecessarily. I don't want to be pegged.

During the summer months, starting in July, I think, there is a classical music series that runs on the BBC called "BBC Proms." I have not learned its origins nor its purpose, but each Saturday night, different orchestras perform music from different eras and for different purposes--or something like that, I'm not sure. :) I caught the end of the program tonight--which was the last one of the year. For the finale, they had choirs and orchestras positioned all over the UK--Ireland, Scotland, Wales, England--and they each sang a traditional song--Northern Ireland sang "O Danny Boy". The choir in London then sang a variety of anthems celebrating the heritage of this kingdom--Rule Brittania was the one that struck me. Throughout the time that I watched, every time the camera scanned the crowds, various people could be seen waving their Union Jacks (the flag of the UK) or their national flags from each nation of the kingdom. This might not seem unusual, but I also read today that the English are not a flag-waving people. The article did not describe why that is...simply that it isn't done. (Incidentally, the Union Jack is a combination of the national flags of England, Ireland, and Scotland.)

Where is this going? Well, ,as I watched people from across the UK wave their flags, belting out their national songs (some of them soaking wet in the pouring rain), I found myself in tears. Not one to ignore such a display, I immediately wondered why. Was it because I was homesick? Possibly. Perhaps a sense of pride in my new adopted (and temporary) home--but that seems a little weird, though not out of the realm of possibility (English pride is sweeping the nation as the England team is closer to defeating Australia in cricket than they have been in over 20 years.) After running through these options, my mind went back to a worship service this past summer at home.

The Sunday when our church celebrated the 4th of July (problematic, yes...but we won't go there now), a man in the congregation sang "God Bless the USA" as special music. A climactic point in that song (the chorus, maybe) says "I'm proud to be an American...." I remember reflecting at the time that I was indeed not proud to be an American at this point in my nation's history. I think perhaps why I cried tonight was a sense of mourning that I don't feel like I can wave my nation's flag proudly--for the simple fact that I am incredibly disappointed in my government and its actions.

Knowing who reads this blog, I am aware that many of you will heartily disagree with what I am about to say. These things are all up for debate and I do not pretend to have a claim on what is absolutely "right." However, in reflecting on who I am, where I am, and where I come from, I feel this needs to be said.

Several things contribute to my disappointment. Right now, it rests on our absolute disregard for some of the poorest people on the planet. In the past few weeks, President Bush has appointed a man as ambassador to the UN--even though this appointee doesn't even like the UN! And now, later this week, the UN has an opportunity to make history in an attempt to wipe out a large portion of poverty through the forgiveness of crippling debt that hinders these poorer countries from escaping the grips of poverty. Britain supports this jubilee as does a majority of the other G8 countries. Yet the US, the most powerful and one of the wealthiest nations is witholding support, bogging negotiations down in an unbelievable bureaucratic mess. Why? In a nation claiming its foundation upon supposedly Christian ideals (at least that's what we claim...highly debatable) with a President who was elected by a Christian majority because of his professed faith, why in the world are we turning our backs on a Christian practice of debt forgiveness and Jubilee? I simply do not understand.

The US has been using its power over and over again to destroy life in defense against terrorism. I say that our unwillingness to use our abundance to help rescue people from poverty, the likes of which even the poorest Americans will never see, is an act of violence against people who cannot possibly defend themselves. On this anniversary of September 11, Americans and others across the world mourn the loss of so many lives due to the violence of hatred on that awful day. But who will mourn the loss of the thousands of lives lost every day throughout Africa simply because they don't have enough food to eat or clean water to drink?

I want to be proud of my country. I think the ideals America set forth in the Constitution and the freedom we profess are essential in any country in any part of the globe. Consider this my act of patriotism, my flag waving to call my country into accountability and to live up to the ideals it professes.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah, what a wonderful post. What a moving insight into your life, your unique position. It makes me proud to be your "brother". Many, many kisses!
Pedro

Sun Sep 11, 04:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a Republican, but I agree for the most part. We are victims of a stereotype given to us by our past and present fellow Americans. Stereotypes are hard to shake. Well, put, for the most part.

Paul

p.s. Jeb Bush in '08!

Mon Sep 12, 03:48:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I watched the flag pass by one day,
It fluttered in the breeze.
A young Marine saluted it,
And then he stood at ease..


I looked at him in uniform
So young, so tall, so proud,
With hair cut square and eyes alert
He'd stand out in any crowd.


I thought how many men like him
Had fallen through the years.
How many died on foreign soil
How many mothers' tears?


How many pilots' planes shot down?
How many died at sea
How many foxholes were soldiers' graves?
No, freedom isn't free.

I heard the sound of Taps one night,
When everything was still,
I listened to the bugler play
And felt a sudden chill.

I wondered just how many times
That Taps had meant "Amen,"
When a flag had draped a coffin.
Of a brother or a friend.

I thought of all the children,
Of the mothers and the wives,
Of fathers, sons and husbands
With interrupted lives.

I thought about a graveyard
At the bottom of the sea
Of unmarked graves in Arlington.
No, freedom isn't free.



I have come back to this post several times, hoping that my brain was misinterpreting what my eyes were reading. Unfortunately, that was not the case. It came to me last night, that it wasn't my body parts that were malfunctioning; it's yours that are messed up.

And then this morning in my email was the above poem. (Too bad the beautiful pictures wouldn't copy.)
It express my thoughts more eloquently and in a much kinder way than any of things that have crossed my mind in the past serveral days.

The last time I checked, women in many countries are not allowed any education, yet you were privileged enough to attend a prestigous school like Duke. Are you not thankful for that opportunity? Do you not understand how many people have suffered so that you could obtain that degree of which you are proud?

Apparently not, because you chose to expatriate yourself to England and then throw rocks at the country which has provided you with opportunities unlimited. Earlier generations had draft-dodgers, who rather than fight for the freedom we enjoy crossed the border to the north and threw their rocks from that vantage point.And just in case you haven't noticed, those draft-dodgers are now considered pond scum.But in spite of having that stigma associated with their name, America was forgiving enough to elect one of those yellow-bellied sapsuckers president...twice.

In summary, if you have to question if you are proud to be an American and you don't get a chill down your spine when you see a grizzled old veteran carrying an American flag during a parade, then maybe you don't deserve to live in a country that values such sacrifices. True patriots fight the fight, not run away from it.

So consider this my act of patriotism, "Here's your hat, what's your hurry?"

Wed Sep 14, 03:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two things that I don't understand - why do people that write posts like this never sign them? And why do they think that the United States of America is the only free country in the world, and holds the absolute truth on how to guarantee that freedom? I personally think the world has a lot to thank the USA, but that doesn't make everything done by their sucessive governments automaticaly right.
Pedro Pinheiro (pedro.pinheiro@gmail.com)

Thu Sep 15, 12:24:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Only by being self critical and understanding your weaknesses can you ever hope to improve as a nation and its role on the rest of the world

Mon Aug 03, 07:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home