Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Happy Thanksgiving!

As I chatted with a couple of friends online today, it struck me that my week looks very different from what it would if I were home. Most of you will have a shorter week...by at least one day, unless you're unlucky enough to work in retail (sorry Dad). On the contrary, this week, I will put in more time than I'm supposed to instead of less. It makes me a bit homesick not to have a short week, but oh well, such is life.

On the subject of Thanksgiving, there are two notable events here this week. Firstly, I will be sharing Thanksgiving dinner with a cousin of mine (5th cousin, 5 times removed or something...) and his wife and some of their American friends. I'm really excited to meet him and to have Thanksgiving with other Americans. Also, as reported a few weeks ago, we will be having a big dinner at one of my churches with the traditional thanksgiving menu. The last headcount had us expecting about 50-60 people. It should be lots of fun. I'll let you know how it goes.

This is indeed a very busy week. I have my first funeral on Friday. I never met this lady and her next-of-kin lives out of town (out of region), but that's not altogether unusual in these parts. The service will take place at the crematorium and I have a 30 minute time limit. In all of Norfolk, there are only 3 crematoria...which means everybody (and their brother) has their services at one of the 3 crems. Plus, business picks up in the winter months, so they have to limit the length of the services. I'll let you know how that goes as well.

Had a great visit with Pedro and a lovely time in Bath. Did lots of sight-seeing last week. I've officially been to Cambridge. Pedro and I took the train over on Saturday and spent the day walking around the town. We were both exhausted when the day was done and very glad we had taken the train. It was my first English train ride, so that was fun for me, too. On Friday, we also went up to the coast. Pedro took several pictures while he was here (he's quite the good photographer) and when he sends them to me, I'll try to post them (if I can remember how...).

I hope you all are well. Enjoy your turkey and football (*snif*)!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home