Sunday, November 27, 2005

Survival...

I hate being sick. It is 5:45am and I've been up for 2 hours. That's after laying in bed wide awake for at least an hour before that. Not that I'm the only one ever to be sick or that I'm really all that sick, but it still stinks. But, since I'm awake, I might as well be productive. I've already but together 2 worship bulletins for tomorrow (today) and so this is next in line for time fillers.

The past few days have actually been pretty good...a few bumps in the road, but that's life. The Thanksgiving meal at my cousin's was fantastic. It turned out better than I dared hope. He and his wife were very welcoming and his friends were lots of fun. There were 5 Americans, 4 Brits, and an Aussie in attendance, plus 2 kids. A (somewhat) sad commentary on my life...I realized that these folks were the first non-work-related people I've met over here. I've got to get out more.

The funeral went off without a hitch. As Frederick used to say...she didn't get up and walk out, so I'll take that as a good sign. Nothing much to note in the difference between English and American funerals....at least in the crematorium, there's no opportunity for an open casket, though the coffin is placed at the front of the chapel on a platform with rollers on it (to wheel it through the hatch). At the committal portion of the service, luckily, we don't have to see the coffin wheeled out, but I simply push a button and the curtain closes. That's about all I can think of on that.

Last night (tonight?) we had our big Thanksgiving meal at the church. It was fantastic. There were about 44 people in attendance and everybody seemed to enjoy themselves. The sweet potato casserole was a big hit (Thanks Martha!), though I don't think I'll be looking at sweet potatoes again any time soon. Those who hadn't had pumpkin pie before also enjoyed this new delicacy. Two of the ladies at Trinity put in a lot of work to pull this all together. It was fantastic. I am so blessed. They all really wanted to share this holiday with me. I received cards and good wishes from a lot of folks. I feel very humbled that they cared enough to go to all this effort and come out on a Saturday evening...especially since we have another big weekend next weekend. It was a great evening of fellowship and food (do you really need anything else in life?).

Anyways, that's the update. Pictures coming soon...maybe in a few minutes....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home